[extropy-chat] global warming eats island

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 20:18:06 UTC 2006

On 12/30/06, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> Is there a single who?  isn't a group mind by literal definition the sum of
> the parts?  (or perhaps greater than the sum of the parts by virtue of the
> average being free of the biases of each contributing individual)
>
> it's an interesting question, even if i'm not certain I understand where you
> were going with it :)

I understood Robert to be referring to the similar situation in
elections, where pollsters try to find an electoral district which
always votes in line with the total national election results. Thus
that single town / city can be said to be equivalent to the group mind
of the nation.
1947 film, Jimmy Stewart 'Magic Town'.

As for exi-chat. I think the range of views is too wide to have a
single person represent the 'group mind'.  Maybe a committee of four
or five who continuously argue with each other and never agree on any
resolutions would do.  :)

On the other hand, perhaps the group mind should include the silent
majority who rarely post to the list. (They are frightened that Keith
will call them 'status-seekers' if they speak in public).  ;)

BillK