[extropy-chat] global warming eats island

Keith Henson hkhenson at rogers.com
Sun Dec 31 20:06:45 UTC 2006

At 10:26 PM 12/29/2006 +0000, Robert wrote:

snip

>Here are the analytical questions.  How much carbon have we put into the
>atmosphere?  How long would it take (a) microorganisms; or (b) nanotech
>based molecular sorters; to put said amount of carbon someplace where it
>can do no harm?

That's actually the wrong question.  Given that we want to keep the earth
close to the current temperature or even cool it a bit, what method is the
least disruptive?  It might turn out that a mess of sunshades in the
earth-sun L1 location are the best (least clostly) way to go.

>(Note I'm proposing at least *two* solutions, there may be more).  If you
>are ambitious, ask how long and what the energy costs would be to put said
>carbon into orbit where it might be more useful.  (The upper atmosphere is
>a really poor place to park ones carbon resources.)

Although we don't now worry about too *little* CO2, if there was really
widespread use of CO2 to grow massive engineering structures out of diamond
*that* could become a problem.

Keith Henson