[extropy-chat] global warming eats island

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 31 22:36:07 UTC 2006

At 03:06 PM 12/31/2006 -0500, Keith wrote:

>Given that we want to keep the earth
>close to the current temperature or even cool it a bit, what method is the
>least disruptive?  It might turn out that a mess of sunshades in the
>earth-sun L1 location are the best (least clostly) way to go.

Two features are being conflated, and I don't know how much expert
work has been done on this (other than knowing that yes, stabilized
solarettes could be put there). My wife the hands-on and
theoretically-informed practical permaculture farmer is aghast at the
handwaving involved. You cool the planet by deleting some significant
proportion of current insolation (using shades or aerosols or
whatever), and what happens to the crops and grasses and livestock
that have evolved or been bred to roughly our recent annual round?
This is a vast multidimensional question.

Damien Broderick