[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Wed Feb 1 14:32:00 UTC 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 6:16 PM, ben wrote:

> I can tell you exactly what's going on. Crypto-Dualism.

Which is fine, unless you are a Neutral Monist. (Hey I didn't use the
D-word first.)

Let me just say that I do understand what you are saying. Though I am
not sure if the question and answer going on here are specific
enough. How about this:

> Case 1:
> Copy is created, original still exist. Copy status is...
> YOU

And that's great. Two of me would get a hell of a lot more done. But
are there two of me? Or is my subjective experience now through 4
eyes and two bodies worth of sense-data? There is a difference
between you saying YOU and me saying Me in this regard, and I think
it is what is hanging up the whole conversation.

> Any one is completely
> interchangeable with any other, in every respect.

Yes. But as soon as there are more than one, what happens to
subjective-me? I would think there were then two of me, and each
would do its own thing.

Is that what you are saying? I am not quite sure how this is dualism
unless you are starting to talk copying into machines, since in each
case the entire mind/body unit (separate or not) has been duplicated.

?

Bret K.