[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Wed Feb 1 17:33:15 UTC 2006

"Heartland" <velvethum at hotmail.com>

> you need to realize at some point that your current subjective experience
> would NOT transfer to your copy.  Of course, the copy would "feel" that
> the original subjective experience has been transferred successfully.
> However, the point is that dead original wouldn't.

Let me see if I have this straight, you feel like the subjective experience
of the you of yesterday has been successfully transferred to the you of
today, but you might be mistaken because the you of yesterday might not feel
that way, he might not feel that he has transferred his subjective
experience to the you of today. Don't you see how silly that is? Of course
the you of yesterday doesn't feel like he has transferred anything to you,
the you of today didn't exist yesterday!

> Don't expect your subjective experience you carry now to magically
> continue on a destructively uploaded copy.

But you just said the you of today thinks your subjective experience has
continued and he is the final arbiter on the subject, you certainly can't
ask the you of yesterday's opinion on the subject, not today you can't.

> each mind (that produces that subjective experience) carves out
> separate and verifiably unique trajectory in space-time
> from any other mind

Separate and verifiably unique trajectory in space-time, wow, I like the way
that trips off the tongue, it sounds so very scientific. Do you remember
when I predicted you would find a euphemism for the soul?

You said yourself a few posts ago than mind is not the brain and I agree,
mind is not a object so it does not have a trajectory is space time unique
or otherwise, neither does "fast" or "pink" or "smart" or "big" or any other
adjective.

 >One is gradual which doesn't destroy or alter the mind process that
> produces subjective experience. The other one obliterates it.

So we know it doesn't alter the subjective mind because it was gradual and
we know it was gradual because it doesn't alter the subjective mind and
round and round we go. By the way, do you have an equation to calculate
exactly how fast is too fast?

I show you the end product of the duplicating process and science can not
tell if the duplication was done fast or slow but you say there is still a
huge difference, so we're not talking about science anymore, we're talking
about religion.

> why two instances of the same subjective experience are not the same
> somehow eludes you

True, it eludes me in the same was as the statement 2 +2 = parrots
eludes me, because it's gibberish.

 John K Clark