[extropy-chat] Computing Power: Moore's Law keeps going and going and going

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:32:56 UTC 2006

Almost all of us still have the capability.  I believe there are some rare
genetic diseases that may involve defects in the uncoupling proteins or the
related genetic factors that result in defects in their activation (time to
go look at OMIM I suppose...).  The number of proteins (I think there are at
least 3) didn't become clear I think until the HGP was complete.  They are
still unraveling what turns them on and off last time I ran across a
discussion.  Wikipedia has brief articles on thermogenin and thermogenesis
that are related.  A more detailed search would involve looking at Medline
abstracts involving UCP1, UCP2, UCP3, etc.  (do I have to do *all* the
biochemistry work around here.... :-?!?)

But remember, I said that enabling the uncoupling proteins is likely to
result in increased free radical production...

R.