[extropy-chat] Protect ourselves to prevent a return to the middle ages

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 11 23:51:26 UTC 2006

Amara Graps wrote:

> >After seeing
>>  the events of this week, is anyone here not convinced we are
>>  at war?
>>
>>  spike
>
> First define 'we'.

I'm with Amara.   I'd like to see Spike define "we".

US extropes with libertarian sympathies (people whom
I personally generally like) do tend, in my view, to have
very parochial notions of the word we.

When I think about we, in terms of extropes of the world,
(I don't give much of a damn for mere extropes of the USA
only) then I think yes we should and ought be on guard to
prevent a return to the middle ages, not because returning
to the middle ages is even remotely possible at all, but
because heading civilization into a backward direction is
definately possible.

Also establishing neo-totalitarian regimes is *definately*
possible and has never been a greater threat.

So, I'd really like to see *anyone* that ever posts to the
ExI chat list and is a US residing libertarian be very clear
about who they are including and excluding when ever
they use the word "we".

In my considered opinion, the absolute highest extropian
principle must be open society underpinned by the rule
of law - and that means global law. That means developing
the law. Refining the law and upholding the law. Law with
checks and balances and with no one excluded from its
protection or excluded from the obligation to uphold the
law whilst residing on planet earth.

Brett Paatsch