[extropy-chat] New antigravity solution will enable space travel near speed of light by the end of this century

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:11:30 UTC 2006

On 2/13/06, "Hal Finney" <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> A couple of other interesting points.  The article points out that
> this implies that a stationary mass will repel objects receding from
> it at greater than 1/sqrt(3) * c.  He suggests that this has "obvious
> cosmological consequences", hinting that this could act as a force
> of gravitational repulsion that could drive galaxies apart.  I don't
> think this is necessarily true, though, as new effects come into play
> at cosmological distances.  Still it is a curious point and we will see
> if other physicists pick up on it.

Repel objects _receding_? I don't get this part - I thought the repulsion
was of _approaching_ objects, and had assumed it was something akin to frame
dragging and that by the same token, receding objects would be attracted
(more strongly than normally, that is). If both approaching and receding
objects are repelled, is there a layman-understandable explanation of how
this can be the case?

- Russell