[extropy-chat] Please don't feed the trolls!

Peter K. Bertine, Jr pkbertine at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 14 23:11:18 UTC 2006

Robert,

I’m sorry about my last post.  I got angry at you and I wrote a really
lousy, emotional and rambling reply based upon traumatic experiences in my
past.  My previous response to your challenge was motivated by fear and I
have spent the day making sense of my emotions.

You challenged me by asking, “If you believe that advanced civilizations
cannot play "god" with solar systems then I would like to see some very
carefully reasoned arguments as to precisely why that is the case.”

I don’t have to argue with you,  I agree with you.  I believe that advanced
civilizations exist and can and possibly do play “god” with solar systems.

The question that underlies my emotional attack on you is: do these
civilizations act as “gods” or “devils?”  Are these intelligences playing
Chess, or Risk or Go or Dungeons and Dragons with the solar systems?  Do
they have morals?

Do you have any arguments that require an advanced intelligence to have
developed an advanced morality,  to recognize that another intelligence has
a right to exist and to do it no harm?

  _____