[extropy-chat] Robert believes in god

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 15 17:15:16 UTC 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 5:38 AM, Peter K. Bertine, Jr wrote:

> Robert, I have re-thought my position.  I agreed with you out of
> fear that I would be moderated off the list by the force of your
> highly respected position.  I was also star struck that you
> responded to me directly.

Now that could well get you moderated off the list!  :-) YUK.  Please
can the sycophantic crap even if it is sarcasm.

> I do not believe that there are any advanced civilizations playing
> god with solar systems. I believe that we must believe that we are
> alone in the universe until proven otherwise.  I also do not
> believe in the singularity concept of AI.  I don’t believe that a
> magic computer will spontaneously come along and save/destroy us.
> Both of these “concepts” are well disguised myths that are at the
> base of many religions.  They are the fuzzy “truths” taught by
> cults.  As long as Transhumanism associates itself with these
> “concepts” it will remain a fringe meme/memeplex and not worthy of
> acceptance by humanity.

You have a funny concept of Singularity.  Please offer your proof of
why a > human AI is impossible.  If there is no such proof then there
is no basis for calling such a "myth".
> Peter, until someone comes up with a *really* good explanation for
> the "missing mass" you have to admit that our current picture of
> reality is quite incomplete.  Robert, I do not have to admit
> reality is incomplete due to the “missing mass” in the universe.  A
> is A.  Until I can probe it, measure it and repeat it and get
> others to probe it, measure it and repeat it, with the same
> results, then it is far worse than *theory*,  it is wishful
> thinking and nothing more than the very human urge to find meaning
> out of randomness

Read again.  "Our *picture* of reality is incomplete."

- samantha