[extropy-chat] [don't] pare replies

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 04:07:37 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ja I see your point, however we may have those unfortunates
> among us who have dialup connections, perhaps because of
> where they live.  Secondly, the sight-impaired may need to
> have their email read aloud, in which case they would be
> eager to cut to the chase.  I don't know if either of these
> apply to anyone here, perhaps not.
>
> Open to suggestion Exi-ers.  What say ye?  spike

I think there are two good ways to do things: bottom-posting while snipping
everything which isn't being replied to (like I'm doing now), or top-posting
while leaving everything in. The first way is better when there are several
points to be replied to individually, the second is better otherwise. With
top-posting you cut to the chase right away, you don't have to wait at all
for the new material. I usually bottom-post on mailing lists except where
the custom seems to be otherwise, because many of them have this as the
custom inherited from Usenet, but I think it should be changed to make
top-posting while leaving everything in the norm except where there's a
specific reason to do otherwise.

The one thing I think is definitely a _bad_ idea is bottom-posting without
snipping. If you're not going to snip, please top-post so we don't have to
page down through all the existing material.

- Russell