[extropy-chat] Big Brain Thinking

Mehran mehranraeli at comcast.net
Sat Feb 18 14:38:03 UTC 2006

Monday, February 13, 2006

Big Brain Thinking

http://www.technologyreview.com/BioTech/wtr_16325,306,p1.html

Stanford neuroscientist Bill Newsome wants to implant an electrode
in his brain to better understand human consciousness.

By Emily Singer

Scientists are learning volumes about the brain -- how it can make
split-second decisions, how it learns from past mistakes, how it
converts pulses of light into a complex visual scene. But, for some,
deciphering the "language" of the electrical pulses that travel
through our brains is only half the story. The second part, and one
that is far more philosophical and complex, is how that brain
activity translates into consciousness -- a person's self-awareness
and perception of the world around them.

Bill Newsome, a neuroscientist at Stanford University in Palo Alto,
CA, has spent the last twenty years studying how neurons encode
information and how they use it to make decisions about the world.
In the 1990s, he and collaborators were able to change the way a
monkey responded to its environment by sending electric jolts to
certain parts of its brain. The findings gave neuroscientists
enormous insight into the inner workings of the brain.

But Newsome is obsessed with a lingering question: How does
consciousness arise from brain function? He feels the best way to
answer that question is by implanting an electrode into his own
brain -- and seeing how the electric current changes his perception
of the world.

Newsome would not be the first person with a brain implant. Epilepsy
patients undergo electrical stimulation prior to brain surgery. A
paralyzed man in New England has an experimental implant that
translates his brain activity into movements of a robotic arm. And,
perhaps most famously, Kevin Warwick, a cybernetics professor at the
University of Reading, U.K., first implanted a chip into nerve
fibers in his arm in 2002, then implanted a chip in his wife's arm,
as part of his quest to become a cyborg.

It's not certain that Newsome will get approval for such a radical
undertaking. But, if he does, his experiment won't be in the
interest of curing a disease or become a human machine. He's hoping
to do something broader: understand consciousness.

Technology Review: Why is understanding consciousness so important
to you?

Bill Newsome: I think that how consciousness arises out of brain
function is one of the most fascinating and important questions in
all of neurobiology. If we understand the system completely (from
input to output) at a cellular level, but still do not know exactly
what causes conscious mental phenomena, we will have failed.

http://www.technologyreview.com/BioTech/wtr_16325,306,p1.html