[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Al Brooks kerry_prez at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 00:51:01 UTC 2006

Haven't read the lead-in to this post, but would you perhaps consider having what WTA has? a wta-politics list? It appears Dr. Hughes understands that a politics list can act as a safety valve channeling the runoff of emotional toxic waste.

  On Feb 19, 2006, at 12:36 PM, Dirk Bruere wrote:
> I rather doubt it since I do not expect to be invited.
> Essentially, what you propose is to cut all social interaction
> between ordinary members, especially anything that fosters dissent.

Dissent != completely off-topic discussions. Except when it
comes to the definition of "off-topic".

> In addition, to narrowly define what are, and are not, suitable
> topics.

Insofar as any set less than everything can be called "narrow",
yes. And perhaps a narrow definition would serve ExI's
interests.

> IMO it's a recipe for disaster from the POV of ExI membership.

Anyone can call themself an ExI member, but there is a certain,
definiable set of things that is extropian - and, conversely,
a certain, definable set of things that is not. Coming up with
better ways of doing things is usually extropian.

> If that happens I'm gone, invitation or not.

Something like that is likely to happen. You might want to save
yourself some time and leave now.