[extropy-chat] META: ExI List Quality & Future

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 20 04:25:00 UTC 2006

--- Al Brooks <kerry_prez at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Haven't read the lead-in to this post, but would you perhaps consider
> having what WTA has? a wta-politics list? It appears Dr. Hughes
> understands that a politics list can act as a safety valve channeling
> the runoff of emotional toxic waste.

I forget whether there is or is not an exi-politics list, but...

While that is a good suggestion, there inevitably comes the
problem of what happens when, not if, people start discussing
politics on the main list instead of the -politics list.
Perhaps the members have not bothered to subscribe to (and might
not be aware of) -politics, perhaps the members simply wish to
discuss in front of the largest audience (the main list), or
perhaps the same thread inertia which leads to discussions going
on under increasingly incorrect subject headers also suppresses
the less malleable/more discrete change of moving a discussion
from one list to another once it becomes no longer appropriate
for the original list.

Without solving that problem, a -politics list does not seem
like it could solve the original problem well enough.

Onr possibility - although there are obvious objections to it -
would be to auto-subscribe anyone subscribed to the main list to
-politics as well, to make it easier for discussions to be
migrated (as that in theory does not lose anyone), yet also
makes it easier for uninterested parties to auto-round-file any
-politics discussions (since they'll be automaticaly tagged with
the list name).