[extropy-chat] Bad idea, was Transhumanism as Religion

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Mon Feb 20 21:55:25 UTC 2006

Hi Samantha,

I can see this happening through a couple of different ways. For
starters, the vast majority of religious adherents are not 100%
enthusiastic maintainers of every aspect of their given observances.
Certainly there are state-sponsored religions, and more and less
religious parts of the planet, but let's start with the West as an
example.

Many people hold ideas along side, and compatible with, their own
religious beliefs. Many modern versions of certain religions have
ideas piggy-backed onto them that are accessory. I have talked to
many members of different groups that uphold their current belief
framework, while applying some sort of hereditary framework. For
instance, Christians that have Shaker/Quaker relations and therefore,
certain habits and ethics, et cetera. A much-simplified example could
also be the notion of guardian angels - something that is neither
proper canon nor in the KJE bible.

So positive, humanity-affirming pro-scientific thoughts and
meditative points could be woven into simple formats. If we could get
the idea out, for example, that something is worth doing "for the
good of our species" - then perhaps that could challenge the foothold
of SUVs and Monday Night Football in todays Emo-cultured youth.

The Vatican has released recently statements affirming that evolution
and Catholicism are compatible. Logically speaking, people who
espouse that religion and science are separate and incompatible, are
technically denigrating the greatness of god, by their own
definition. Am I making sense? I am trying to be concise.

As far as "seriously expecting to work" - this is about setting
proper horizons for Transhumanism to take hold, and then take place.
"The stone is hard, the water patient." type horizons, as far as some
parts of the world go.

Bret K.