[extropy-chat] Failure of low-fat diet

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:19:02 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, Robin Hanson <rhanson at gmu.edu> wrote:

> Oh, sure, it is very clear we live longer, and that the proximate
> cause is that diseases that used to kill us no longer do.   But ask
> yourself where the mountain of evidence is that this fact is best
> explained by the facts that we now have better drugs, doctors,
> sewers, and water supplies.

Let's take the most obvious case: diseases like smallpox, polio, measles and
whooping cough that were largely or entirely eradicated by the use of
vaccines. Are you seriously suggesting that it might have been just a
coincidence, that some mysterious alternative force made the diseases go
away just when the vaccines would have eradicated them?

- Russell