[extropy-chat] META: List Quality

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 07:08:28 UTC 2006

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Lee Corbin
> Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 8:59 PM
> To: ExI chat list
> Subject: [extropy-chat] META: List Quality

> I'm sorry to see that it's been necessary to install an
> Intimidator/Terminator
> instead of just a moderator  ;-)  but it's a changing world, and so is
> always
> getting worse in some ways as it gets better in others.  Viva Extropianus.
>
> Lee Corbin

Hi Lee!  Welcome back bud!

Ja we deplored having to institute that onerous policy; most distasteful,
even if only temporary.  Now we demonstrate the two extremes: for a long
time we had almost no moderation, now we have what I would define as
intentionally overzealous moderation.  My notion is that by exercising these
extremes, the next volunteer Temporary Benevolent Dictator will have mapped
before them the dreaded Scilla and Charybdis, betwixt which they must
skillfully and diplomatically navigate.

Our problems are minor indeed.  Consider those unfortunate blighters who
currently earn their sustenance in the news business.  In the past few weeks
we have seen editorial decisions result in furious riots all over the globe,
in hundreds of deaths, destruction of property, cartoonists fleeing into
hiding for fear of their lives with no clear end to their exile, the de
facto loss of rights we hold dear, freedoms hard won by the blood of
patriots.  Do we so willingly surrender these rights in exchange for a
fragile temporary peace?  On the other hand, are we willing in any way to
contribute to what may turn into a horrifying and unquenchable civil war
which may spread to many nations, resulting in tragedy so profound as to
defy description?  Is there a right answer here?  Do suggest.

Deriving an ExI-chat moderation policy is trivial in comparison to the
maddening dilemma currently before those in the news business.