[extropy-chat] Politics: worthwhile commentary

Mon Jan 2 07:18:11 UTC 2006

On Jan 1, 2006, at 11:34 PM, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> If I think someone is being a twit (or whatever) then I reserve the
> right to privately say so if I consider it worth my while.  Frankly,
> suggesting that moderators should prevent people from privately
> speaking their mind in ways you don't approve of seems  pretty silly
> and foolish.

Yes, so I am thankful that I didn't do this.  Read my posts more
carefully.  I was objecting to Spike's statements that seemed to
encourage personal attacks in private e-mail (by saying he didn't
personally see anything wrong with that).  I was pointing out what was
wrong with personal attacks, not saying that Spike should moderate
private e-mail.

> The word in question is defined below.  You don't qualify in my
> experience of you as generally silly or foolish.   So you have nothing
> to worry about.  :-)

I don't worry about it, because you wouldn't just call me a twit and
leave it at that.  You would explain why my statements seem silly or
foolish.  Even when I disagree with you, we have a rational
conversation.  I can't imagine you stooping to sending insulting
messages off-list that you wouldn't dare send on list.  Even in your
heated moments, you still seem to explain yourself and your reasons.  I
don't know why other people not only don't do this, but they don't even
understand the concept of rational debate.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CIFI NSA-IAM GSEC ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP