[extropy-chat] All hail Will Wilkinson

Dirk Bruere dirk.bruere at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:25:31 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> On 1/4/06, Dirk Bruere <dirk.bruere at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 1/4/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:
> > > I can imagine you shudder with revulsion as you read this, but would
> > > you consider that cooperation is a much stronger principle leading to
> > > growth, with the understanding that effective cooperation at a given
> > > level of organization benefits from diversity and competition at a
> > > lower level?
> > >

> > Cooperation within groups, competition between groups.
> >

> Dirk -
>
> Yes, these exist, but what are your thoughts on their role within
> levels of organization?

Well, within an overall (smallish) organisation there should not be
competing groups.
It indicates redundancy at best and at worst empire building.
When it comes to much larger groups eg nations, then that redundancy is a
necessity.
It also comes down to degrees of loyalty to, and feelings of inclusiveness
of, tribal groupings at different scales.

Dirk