[extropy-chat] All hail Will Wilkinson

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 21:29:25 UTC 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 10:51 AM, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> On 1/4/06, gts <gts_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 10:49:26 -0500, Dirk Bruere
> <dirk.bruere at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Is that really so, or a justification of existing practice and
> prejudice?
> > Would cooperation between salespeople be a better strategy overall?
>
> Commissioned salespeople cooperate when it's in their mutual best
> interests, but in general I think they enjoy and perform best in
> competition.
>
> Probably, but that may be a positive feedback effect in that the
> type of people attracted are the ones who enjoy such a role, and
> the 'co-operators' are discouraged. OTOH, in companies in which I
> have worked the biggest motivator for sales staff was not getting
> fired.

Sales is one place where you have more control over your income
directly proportional to your results.  Anyone motivated primarily by
not getting fired does not belong in sales.  I wouldn't want anyone
working for me in any capacity to have that as a primary motivation.
But especially not those in sales.

- samantha