[extropy-chat] On difficult choices (was: Books: Harris; Religion and Reason)

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Thu Jan 12 04:45:31 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky <sentience at pobox.com> wrote:
> Jef Allbright wrote:
> >
> > Sometimes a military leader is faced with the difficult choice of
> > sacrificing some of his troops in order to save the rest.  Sometimes
> > an individual will sacrifice himself to allow others to survive in an
> > overloaded lifeboat.  Sometimes a surgeon will advise a patient to
> > undergo radical amputation in order to have a chance at life.
> > Sometimes a politician will risk loss of popularity in order to
> > contribute to a greater good.
>
> Sometimes people can be hypnotized by difficult choices.

Eliezer, I commend you on your pursuasive writing techniques (which I
was tempted to annotate), and of course you make a valid point about
the importance, rising to the level of necessity, of striving to
discover a constructive solution to seemingly unsolvable problems.

I could support your point using real-life examples such as the
apparent paradox of the Cold War, or multiple examples from my own
life where I haven't been able to see a way forward, but survived via
perseverance and that abstract principle I've tried to communicate to
you before -- that we're the end result of a long chain of survivors,
and to a surprising extent we can trust in the environment that lead
to us being here even when we don't know what's going on.

But that wasn't the point of my post.  The point was about that "moral
repugnance", operating below fully conscious awareness, that people
experience when faced with difficult decisions of the type where a
near-term sacrifice is in fact indicated to achieve broader good.

For the record, I wouldn't agree with a proposal to nuke a population
under any expected near-term conditions, but I could conceive of
hypothetical conditions under which that might be the right thing to
do.  I can certainly entertain the thought and consider classes of
similar problems and what general approaches might be effective toward
achieving various goals of varying moral value.

If this topic of conversation ever evolved to a sustained level of
intelligent, respectful discussion, I would hope to discuss ways of
making such decisions rationally, but under constraints of incomplete
knowledge and time.  We might talk about heuristics and biases before
moving on, and then I suspect it might become clear that
decision-making based on informed principles, rather then expected end
result, is one of the better ways to proceed in such cases.   We might
even talk about what it means to have principles that are "well
informed", and so on...

- Jef