[extropy-chat] On difficult choices (was: Books: Harris; Religion and Reason)

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 04:58:19 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Jef Allbright <jef at jefallbright.net> wrote:

> If this topic of conversation ever evolved to a sustained level of
> intelligent, respectful discussion, I would hope to discuss ways of
> making such decisions rationally, but under constraints of incomplete
> knowledge and time.  We might talk about heuristics and biases before
> moving on, and then I suspect it might become clear that
> decision-making based on informed principles, rather then expected end
> result, is one of the better ways to proceed in such cases.   We might
> even talk about what it means to have principles that are "well
> informed", and so on...

I wouldn't mind participating in such a discussion. I think it might be
better though, if we were to have such, to use fictional examples as Eliezer
did - in my analysis of Robert's proposal I tried to tread as carefully as
possible, but it's still difficult for people (myself included) to keep a
cool head when debating tricky moral issues in real life.

- Russell