[extropy-chat] Cryonics and uploading

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 00:36:47 UTC 2006

Do current cryonics providers have a section on their consent form that asks
whether you want:

a) To be uploaded as soon as the technology becomes available for it
(cryonics patients are the obvious first candidates for destructive scan
uploading, likely to be the first feasible type).

b) To be kept on ice until the technology advances to the point of allowing
thawing out and biological revival (perhaps with the option of later
uploading) (which might be years to decades later).

If not, is there enough difference among people signed up for cryonics to
merit such? I ask because it occurs to me that there is a split in general
between people who subscribe to the _pattern_ view of identity (in which
destructive scan uploading from a frozen state is fine) and those who
subscribe to the _thread_ view of identity (in which historical continuity
is important, so they'd rather wait for gradual uploading to be available);
if that split also exists among cryonics patients, it might be worth making
sure your position on the matter is written down somewhere before you go
into the dewar.