[extropy-chat] Computing Power: Moore's Law keeps going and going and going

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 22:06:54 UTC 2006

On 1/26/06, Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> * Even if it is made top-down like traditional litho, rather than
>   bottom-up molecular-manufacturing-style - if it's dealing with
>   individual elements < 1 micron, it's real nanotech.

By your definition perhaps.  In my mind "real nanotechnology" has to meet
the NSF specification of < 100 nm and it has to be assembled small-molecule
by small-molecule (just as the human body is) with a very high degree of
positional accuracy.  Ion implantation of traditional lithography generally
does *not* achieve the same accuracy that most enzymes do.  At 45nm you are
probably 10-100 times larger than the scale biological systems are generally
working at.

* The rest of your post only commented on the rise of computer
>   chips, and said nothing about glucose-powered fuel cells.
>   There'd be quite a market *right now* for glucose-powered
>   "fuel cells" that don't actually produce useful amounts of
>   power but do consume significant (relative to the average
>   obese American's body) amounts of glucose.

Agreed.  But if that is you goal it isn't hard.  Just filter the glucose out
of you blood and circulate it into a bag containing bacteria that utilize
the glucose to produce light.  If you make the bag into a transparent suit
jacket you can glow in the dark while losing weight.

Robert