[extropy-chat] Re: Identity and becoming a Great Old One

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky sentience at pobox.com
Thu Jan 26 22:48:39 UTC 2006

Bret Kulakovich wrote:

> Not counting the lapse between shutdown and restart spent inert. So
> cryonics could be arguably threaded or patterned - I don't think we'll
> know until it happens. The bulb is out for a very long time before the
> power is restored.

What difference does it make if it is 10^40 planck increments between
when your neurons fire, or 10^53 planck increments between your cryonic
suspension and revival?  You and your wacky anthropomorphic notions
about "short times" and "long times".  To physics your brain is a
motionless statue with neurons firing only on a timescale of aeons.
Even so, you live.