[extropy-chat] Cryonics should be preserving life, not just identity.

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:37:50 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/27/06, Heartland <velvethum at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, the side effect of this is that the original life ends
> forever.

That is  what the individuals I am thinking of actually seem (seemed) to
want.  The termination of that specific thread.  What I am dealing with is
reasons to support cryonics that would not involve thread continuation.  It
is kind of like having access someone's letters, writings, etc. but in a
more robust form (e.g. for writing an in depth biography) without actually
being able to ask the individual questions about what they were thinking at
the time the writing took place.

I would like my original brain to be fully restored and operational. This
> would restore both life and the identity of the original. Subsequent mind
> substrate changes would have to be performed by Moravec transfer.

So  either of (a) an identical atom by atom brain disassembly followed by
identical reassembly (with isotopic identity preserved if you so choose)
[leaving aside the difficulties of actually doing so]; or (b) a reactivation
of the thread present at your time of "death" running on a non-biological (
e.g. uploaded) substrate would not be acceptable?

If the answers are yes to either of these questions can you provide a
rational explanation other than something along the lines of "this is what I
feel most comfortable with"?

Thanks,
Robert