[extropy-chat] Fwd: SURVIVAL: An impulse behind transhumanism?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Jul 3 17:20:20 UTC 2006

On Jun 28, 2006, at 4:54 PM, nvitamore at austin.rr.com wrote:

> From: Russell Wallace
>
>>> Someone asked me recently what the impulse behind transhumanism
>>> was.  I
>>> said survival.
>
>> I agree completely.
>
> I'd like to take this a step further.  Can you find parallels in
> society in
> which a movement was developed for the sake of survival?

I am not sure that survival is where the roots are.  Humanity seems
to have a deep yearning to overcome various limitations and forms of
suffering.  That yearning is seen is religions, in philosophy, in
art, in various idealistic notions and systems, and in
transhumanism.    Transhumanism seems to be a manifestation of that
ancient drive made aware of science and technological
possibilities.   So I think the impulse behind transhumanism goes
beyond survival or at least that 'survival' misses important nuances.

- samantha