[extropy-chat] My Dilemma

A B austriaaugust at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 5 18:27:40 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

  I've been struggling with an issue for a few months now, ever since I first learned about the Singularity and its myriad implications. My dilemma is that I'm not sure that I should try to inform and educate my friends and loved ones about the Singularity. I'm concerned that this knowledge of the Singularity may have a net negative impact on their lives. I am not ashamed to confess to you all that the Singularity meme has personally caused me a not-insignificant amount of fear and anxiety. To be totally 100% honest, sometimes I wish that I had never learned about the Singularity and instead had just been just as surprised as the other 99% are going to be. But the Singularity is NOT something one can learn about and then just forget.  ;-)   Because I cannot step outside myself, it is extremely difficult for me to judge whether or not this level of fear is justified or not. Perhaps I am just fearful and pessimistic by nature, and perhaps this fear is irrational. But, then
 again, perhaps not. If the Singularity goes very badly, and humanity is wiped out, then how will the foreknowledge of the Singularity have benefited my friends? In this particular case, it would seem to be a detriment to their quality of life, over the short-term. What do y'all think? Should I attempt to inform my friends?

  Best Wishes,

  Jeffrey Herrlich