[extropy-chat] Popper and QT

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 12 17:25:23 UTC 2006

At 12:31 PM 7/12/2006 -0400, gts wrote:

>Popper argues for a philosophy
>of objective probability to make sense of quantum weirdness, one which
>presumably does away with subjectivist interpretations and the
>contradiction that is the complementarity principle. He argues, I believe,
>for the existence of *real objective propensities* to explain the apparent
>statistical randomness of quantum phenomena.

Popper is widely regarded, partly for this reason, as simply not
understanding quantum theory. As far as I know, the objective
propensity theory proved to be entirely sterile. (40 years ago, it
was adopted by several parapsychologists, but even in that domain it
seems to have fallen by the wayside.)

Damien Broderick