[extropy-chat] Popper and QT

gts gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 12 18:16:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:25:23 -0400, Damien Broderick
<thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Popper is widely regarded, partly for this reason, as simply not
> understanding quantum theory. As far as I know, the objective
> propensity theory proved to be entirely sterile.

I can't defend Popper's book on the subject (_Quantum Theory and the
Schism in Physics: From the Postscript to the Logic of Scientific
Discovery_) because I have yet not read it. However I wonder if his views
on this subject were not given the credit they might have deserved simply
because he was a philosopher of science rather than a physicist.

No matter who was right, we're still left with this curious
complementarity principle of Bohr's which really makes no sense
whatsoever. It is as though Bohr and his followers threw up their hands
and said, "Well, these contradictory observations make no sense, so let's
just enshrine this nonsense and call it a 'Principle'".

-gts