[extropy-chat] Singularity heat waste

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:52:39 UTC 2006

On 7/14/06, George Dvorsky <george at betterhumans.com> wrote:

> Dear Anders,
>
> It would appear you have some explaining to do:
> [snip -- my comments re: lack of an engineering outline...]

:-)

George, this is *not* to say that the solar system cannot be developed
*quite* quickly.  With robust nanotechnology and a couple of years of setup
time (to distribute the nanoseeds around the solar system) you can go from
sub-KT-I to full KT-II (i.e. ~10^12 W to ~10^26 W [1] in available energy)
in a few years [2] or less [3].  Converting the the solar system into an
optimal architecture however takes much longer because you cannot get around
the material transport time limits or the material (element) transmutation
energy requirement constraints with simple fanciful hand waving.  There is a
significant plateau at this point [4].  Now whether humanity *chooses* to
make the transition that quickly (days to decades from < KT-I to KT-II) that
quickly is a very complex question.  Most people do not even realize that
that transition point is available and must eventually be dealt with.

Robert

1.
http://www.aeiveos.com:8080/~bradbury/ETI/Authors/Kardashev-NS/ToIbEC.html<http://www.aeiveos.com:8080/%7Ebradbury/ETI/Authors/Kardashev-NS/ToIbEC.html>
2. Dyson's "mistake" which produced the 800 year transition time estimate
was because he proposed the disassembly of Jupiter rather than the asteroids
or Mercury.  If you pick material sources which exist in much shallower
gravity wells you can harvest the full solar output in a much shorter period
of time.
3. If you disassemble the asteroids, you have longer transport times to
fully enshroud the sun.  If you disassemble Mercury you can capture the full
solar output in much less time but have a much larger headache of how to
continue to allow sunshine on the Earth (not impossible mind you but the
design requirements are more complex).
4. Full optimization (in my book) requires significantly extending the
lifespan of the sun which requires removing a considerable amount of
material from it.  Given the gravity well that the sun is in that requires
millions to hundreds of millions of years depending on how clever one is and
the fraction of ones energy resources that one is willing to devote to the
task.