[extropy-chat] cell phone usage distance ... minimizing exposure

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jul 28 20:54:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Ensel Sharon wrote:

> So, let's say I alter my cell phone usage such that 100% of all calls are
> made with speakerphone, either holding the phone in my hand, or placed on
> a desk in front of me.

Use a Bluetooth headset. It is also very useful when driving (caveat:
you're still effectively DUI-level impaired).

> I'm not looking for a "dangers of mobile devices" discussion, per se, but
> would be happy to see one if people had interesting points to make, above
> and beyond the main point of my question...

I would say that there's not enough data to claim 3-5 W peak power
radiated directly at the head is innocuous. It certainly seems to disrupt
EEG patterns in young users for about half an hour, which is definitely
a warning sign.