[extropy-chat] cell phone usage distance ... minimizing exposure

Jordan Hazen jnh at aug.com
Sun Jul 30 05:35:45 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 10:54:08PM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I would say that there's not enough data to claim 3-5 W peak power
> radiated directly at the head is innocuous.

*Handheld* phones don't emit this much power, though.  The US FCC limit is
600mW (ETSI may allow a full 1W) and most actually run at 200mW or less to
improve battery life, with minimal gain from the omnidirectional antenna.

Also, on GSM networks, with eight timeslots per channel the transmitter will
only be operating 1/8th of the time, reducing average power to 100mW or
less.

> It certainly seems to disrupt EEG patterns in young users for about half
> an hour, which is definitely a warning sign.

The rapid (~200 Hz?) timeslot cycling can cause EMI problems of its own,
e.g. audio noise pickup in unshielded electronics nearby.  Perhaps the EEG
issue is similar?  Did that study compare GSM to CDMA or analog?

--
Jordan.