[extropy-chat] META: att.net users, you might need a different ISP

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Mon Jul 31 20:27:17 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 01:54:43PM -0500, Brian Atkins wrote:

> Eugen you can go on all you like about how in a perfect world it shouldn't be
> your problem, or ziaspace's problem, or their colo provider's problem, but in
> the end it is still your problem. We members of this list want att.net users to

I cannot fix the whole wide Internet that is broken. Not feeling particularly
quixotic at the moment, sorry.

> be able to subscribe to it. Full stop. Apparently at some point in the past that

They can subscribe to it. Full stop. They might or might not receive email
from it, depending on the moon phase, and whether SORBS operator has dyspepsia.
I don't know, and I can't even diagnose it -- because I don't have
access to att.net address space, nor to the ziaspace MTA logs. The first
time I heard about this problem with specific diagnostics was yesterday.
You all now know exactly as much as myself. So now it's your problem,
too. You members of this list also do something about it.

> was possible. It would be possible again if some kind of action is taken other
> than telling them they have no hope. So let's go down the list of potential actors:
>
> 1. SPEWS list. You're correct they are unlikely to change anything.

Forget them.

> 2. att.net postmaster/abuse folks, contact and see if they will change this.

From my experience, att.net customers have some slight chance if they
call the ISP, and escalate. Since I'm not att.net customer, nor am I
even residing in the U.S. I won't call the att.net support line. I, however,
recommend that those of you who are att.net subscribers and/or
residing in the U.S. do.

> Have you tried? Some ISPs like AOL have mechanisms in place to get your mail
> server whitelisted if you follow their procedures.

Again, you're asking att.net to change their RBL policy. I suggest att.net
subscribers do this. Those of you who care about att.net subscribers should
also do this.

> 3. Colo provider/ziaspace work to get a non-blacklisted IP address for
> lists.extropy.org. Have you asked them to do so? Are they unable to obtain one?
> Or unwilling?

I will contact ziaspace folk to make them aware about the problem. (I haven't
yet heard of someone asking for a fresh IP, just because it's in SORBS. I personally
wouldn't bother, especially if it's entirely SORBS' fault. If ziaspace folks
are super extra-nice they might. If they do, I will buy them a beer).

> 4. You/list adminstrators. Move the list if there are no other options. If your
> new home eventually gets blacklisted for some reason, move again if necessary.

This is not my list, I'm just helping to run it. If there's popular demand
I will host the list on one of my servers. Eventually. I have a vacation,
a job change, and a kid in the pipeline, so unfortunately this is not very
high on my priority list. If you think that won't do:
1) do yourself something about it 2) pay somebody else who'll do (managed
hosting starts at $20/month, or so).

> Leaving it alone or allowing it get worse should not be an option. att.net is a
> significant ISP, and is merging with Bellsouth here, so there soon will be many
> more att.net users.

I will see what I can do. Since most of you have exactly the same information as
myself, and exactly the means that I have, I recommend you do something about it
as well.