[extropy-chat] Simplifying Singularity

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 4 02:27:30 UTC 2006

Lee wrote
  Actually, there have been a lot (many would say too many) tinmes when
technology changed the course of humanity forever. E.g., gunpowder,
the atomic bomb, and the transistor.

You might add "change it unrecognizably", or some such. Googling for
"singularity" will probably yield a lot of good ideas.

  Anna wrote
  > [Consider this:] "Singularity is a moment in time when technology will
> change the course of humanity forever."

> I'm just curious, I'm writing a script and would like to use the word
> in a popular context and was wondering if this phrase would be appropriate.

Anna writes
  Thank you Lee for your response.
  I may not be a genius when it comes to math, physics and science but i'm pretty
  sure I know how to Google,  maybe we are not,  Googling the same things)

  At the same time, your point is you think that the Singularity will be an
  unrecognizably event?
  I don't know.
  In my script, it's recognizable.  I was just asking if it's a good phrase.  Does
  it sum up exactly the definitions on Google or does it seem completely off?  In one
  phrase,  define Singularity?  That's all I was trying to do.

  Thanks again,
  Anna