[extropy-chat] Fwd: Extinctions

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jun 11 00:17:25 UTC 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 11:06 AM, Rafal Smigrodzki wrote:

> [...]

Come on.  Did Damien state a goal of saving all species?  No.  Is
your notion that you would have to kill many people and enslave the
rest based on much more than rhetoric?  No, not really.  Given MNT it
is quite possible to save most of the biodiversity of Earth and have
humanity and posthumanity thrive.   There is no either-or here.
This is really good news.  So why not accentuate it instead of
squabbling over the worth of various parts of the biosphere?

> The choice is simple: either you forbid
> human economic growth to protect wood lice, or else you accept that a
> lot of wood lice will die so that a few billion brown and yellow
> people get affluent.

I do not accept your either-or viewpoint.  Besides, wood lice, are
again a rhetorical device to attempt to make the views and concerns
of others look foolish.   Why do this?

> What I am saying amounts to "Let everybody first get rich, and *then*
> worry about the flowers to put in their backyard", not some
> Singularity stuff. You can trust the market to provide flowers and
> other diversions once the demand is there.

Really?  This is a position of considerable faith if it really is as
either-or as you present.

- samantha