[extropy-chat] Fwd: Extinctions

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 02:11:30 UTC 2006

On 6/10/06, Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> I do not accept your either-or viewpoint.  Besides, wood lice, are
> again a rhetorical device to attempt to make the views and concerns
> of others look foolish.   Why do this?

### Because many people have been already expropriated in the name of
protecting the long-billed dungpecker, the Eastern dappled woodlouse,
and the mousy stinkflower. It's not a rhetorical device, it's the
reality.

Seriously, this is what happens: some starry-eyed bug watcher alerts
the local enforcers that the habitat of a bug he loves is endangered
by a housing development, and soon the EPA goons are roping off
somebody's land to keep the bugs alive. Usually there is somebody's
ulterior motive involved as well - somebody likes to have a large area
of neat forest as the backdrop to their living room windows, and would
hate nothing more than a hundred new neighbors with their cars and
kids spoiling the view. So, a conservancy is born, usually somebody
pockets some tax breaks too, and the poor slobs who would like to buy
a new house find that the prices went another 30k up. And back to the
apartment block they go, to watch nice nature on TV.

Rafal