[extropy-chat] Health data

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:21:55 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Amara Graps <amara at amara.com> wrote:
> Robin:
> >  I'd love for there to be enough people like
> >  me that we could get a health plan designed for us, as that should
> >  cost a lot less.   Alas, the prospects for that are slim - people
> >  want to *believe* in medicine, and are scared to seem uncaring if
> >  they cut back much for their family.
>
> MB:
> >If you can figure out how to do this and have it cover us wherever we
> >live, I'm very interested!
>
> Me too. Later next year when I begin to see money from my PSI position,
> I will either have to give up the health insurance that the other
> researchers have, or the administrators and I will use a different
> health insurance company that would be willing to cover me as a
> researcher living abroad. The latter seems fantastic. We don't know
> if such a company that can cross country borders to provide some
> amount of medical coverage even exists.

### I don't know if this would be helpful to you but in general the
most cost-effective form of insurance is catastrophic health
insurance. In these plans you have a deductible of at least 5
000$/year, or even more, 10 - 15k, and essentially unlimited coverage
above that figure. You can exercise your own judgment in spending, and
this helps keep costs low. I am not sure though if there are
catastrophic plans paying for coverage abroad.

Rafal