[extropy-chat] Psychology of investments in infrastructure

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Tue Jun 20 16:46:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:33:18AM -0700, Samantha Atkins wrote:
> I have rarely seen it that underutilized.

I haven't read the entire thread closely but I think you're talking
about VTA light rail.  It is grossly underutilized when measured
against capacity anp estimates used to sell the system.
See http://www.ti.org/vaupdate32.html

> We spend many tens of
> billions of dollars every year of lost productivity sitting in a box
> on wheels driving to and from work.   We spend much more than that on
> be box and the liquid gold that fuels it.  Clearly this is sub-
> optimal to say the least.

Suboptimal for what set of constraints?

The constraints are going to change soon and building more inflexible
political trophy transit lines is very short-sighted.  See
http://ideas.4brad.com/node/410

--
  Mike Linksvayer
  http://gondwanaland.com/ml/