[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity, just curious:)

Anne-Marie Taylor femmechakra at yahoo.ca
Sat Jun 24 04:48:33 UTC 2006

I wrote:
I figure, a form of boredom, would be someone that hasn't begun to
formulate their basic interests.

  >Robert Bradbury wrote:
  >True, don't many of us have memories of ourselves or other children
>complaining (esp. on rainy days) "there's nothing to do".  But one has to
>wonder with TV, Video Games, the WWW, etc. now-a-days whether it is not
>still too easy for individuals to become narrowly focused and exhaust the
>(local) realm of possibilities.

  Anna Replies:
  I wonder if playing games and watching TV could be considered basic
  interests?
  I agree that focusing solely on those interests could lead to a narrow vision.

  >Natasha Vita-More wrote:
  >That state of restlessness can be a good thing because when we are not in
>involved in activities that stimulate our brains, a time of inner
>contemplation can set in.

  In my opinion, restlessness is much related to laziness.  I agree, at times, just
  doing nothing but relaxing,  is great.

>Natasha wrote:
  >People tend to expect others to entertain them. When that moment of
>restlessness sets in, most people think someone or something will change
>the mood.  Most people do not know how to be creative, and many have not
>been taught how to learn to create.

  Your right.  I'm going to ponder the thought on how to teach people to create.
  Thanks.

  >MB wrote:
  >But I'd have been miserable without quiet "down time" on my own.

I think laziness is a word that has been used in context that symbolizes negativity.
  I think, if you replace "being lazy" by telling people your meditating, they take
  it as being positive. I believe,   "Quiet time", like you said, is essential.

  I hope I was in proper context:)
  Anna

All new Yahoo! Mail