[extropy-chat] Draft Paper on Boredom and Superlongevity, just curious:)

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Jun 24 14:43:37 UTC 2006

Anna wrote:
> I think laziness is a word that has been used in context that symbolizes
> negativity.
>   I think, if you replace "being lazy" by telling people your meditating,
> they take
>   it as being positive. I believe,   "Quiet time", like you said, is
> essential.

Suddenly a memory of my mom telling me (yelling at me, is how I recall it)
that I was lazy. And selfish. Why? Because I wanted quiet time on my own,
with no distractions. Time to "do nothing". Well, there was stuff going on
inside, but she didn't see it.

I've had to fight for that all my life. In my marriage the same, always
struggling for quiet time, for down time, for silence.

I sure could have used that Meditation term, but I never even thought of
that. Never considered that was perhaps what I was doing. Probably because
Meditation has often a "formula" to be followed, and I was just being
quiet and alone.

There were things I did that protected me: weeding the garden was great.
Nobody wanted to be with me, and nobody could say I was lazy. Even washing
dishes was a helpful protection. Some people knit and do needlework. I
think it may give them the same quiet down time that weeding did for me.

Regards,
MB