[extropy-chat] quasarps

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 11:31:27 UTC 2006

On 6/27/06, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> < Seyfert galaxy NGC 7603 z=0.029 is connected to its apparently
> ejected companion z=0.057 by a luminous bridge in which are embedded
> two compact emission line objects of z=0.243 and 0.391...
>
> http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0203466  >
>
> and wondered if and how they might be very early mega-engineering?

I was only vaguely aware of this data.  But I believe that such low z
numbers put the galaxies relatively close implying that they are probably
relatively similar in age to our own which in turn means that they may have
had ample time to precede us in terms of development to the KT-II --> KT-III
level.  Given the wide range of z factors involved I believe the distances
are fairly large (I don't have z -> M.l.y. conversion charts handy).  Given
the large distances between galaxies and the energy and mass that could
potentially be involved in optimal galactic mergers or separations (think
0.9 KT-III level getting married or divorced) I could easily see them
wanting to set these things up well in advance.  The stuff in between could
well be the 'lawyers' going back and forth between them.

Once you remove the requirements that all galaxies should be either
completely natural (i.e. all stars are visible) or entirely at the KT-III
level (completely dark) then you open up the possibility of seeing things at
all ranges in between.  Because more advanced civilizations have much longer
time scales for doing things (billions to trillions of years) the will not
be in a rush to colonize every last fusioning star in a galaxy but may
instead take much longer term views regarding optimal consumption and
arrangement of the resources at their disposal.  Perhaps these folks are
simply setting up for a super-supernova (think of multi-burst fireworks) by
arranging molecular gas cloud concentrations, stellar near misses, etc. so
one generates a huge quantity of metals in 300 million years within a
relatively small region of space in order to support a KT-II+ population
boom.  It has to be a tricky process to avoid dumping things into a massive
black hole which is only going to generate excessive amounts of high energy
radiation which isn't very compatible with minimal maintenance costs on all
of your computronium.

Robert