[extropy-chat] H+, autism, selection effects, biases

Jef Allbright jef at jefallbright.net
Fri Jun 30 16:58:40 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
> At 06:30 PM 6/29/2006, Spike wrote:
>
> >... I have noticed a definite social clumsiness in the
> >extropians and the definitely the mathematicians, but not with the bikers.
>
> Oh, big turn off.  I notice many well-balanced extropes, especially those
> of us who practice yoga or are dancers.

Natasha, I can't tell whether you're exhibiting dry humor here, or
perhaps confusing well-balanced in social terms with well-balanced in
terms of the "mussel-control" of dancers and yoga practitioners.  If
it's the latter, then I am certainly well-balanced as a motorcyle
rider, but remain awkward in social settings when I don't have a clear
goal other than to just be sociable.

Chit-chat and shallow conversation have always bored me to an extent
surpassing most physical pain.  However, I finally learned how to
function effectively in such free-form social settings:  I set myself
the clear goal of learning something about the other person(s) and
then, if possible, communicating at least one meaningful idea that
they might be receptive to.  At that point it becomes a goal-oriented
project to which I can apply my native skills. No more
fish-out-of-water experience, but whether it's enjoyable still depends
on the particular persons.

Surprising, and a bit sad that it took me many years to learn this.

- Jef