[extropy-chat] Re Fight for Evolution?

kevinfreels.com kevin at kevinfreels.com
Thu Mar 2 19:56:04 UTC 2006

I think you may be a little over concerned Pete. Part of what you are seeing
is a simple matter of specialization. It may have made sense for a person
100 years ago to understand how the inside of their automobile worked since
they could likely be stuck on the road and need to fix it. The same concepts
that were in that auto were also contained in the factory machinery at the
guy's job and the farm equipment in the field. They were very basic and
didn't require any special knowledge.

Today it is a bit different. A computer tech has enough trouble keeping up
with the latest technology in computers, the latest security threats,
hardware, etc to keep them busy 24/7. They do not have the luxury or the
need for the knowledge of how a car works. Even if they did, they probably
could not fix the car on the way to the office due to the special tools and
parts needed to do the job. They pick up the cell phone and call a person
specialized in car repair.......And this person probably hasn't a clue how
the cell phone that made the call works, but his specialized knowledge in
repairing cars makes him no less important to the overall knowledge of the
human species.

Of  course you have your multi-talented pointy-head types (like most of the
people here) who have a great interest in nearly everything. But I doubt
that our numbers are decreasing. I also doubt that anyone here who knows how
a cell phone works also knows each of the specific manufacturing processes
that went into it, the processes that were used to gather the raw materials,
an understaing of the infrastructure that brought all the parts into the
plant to be made, the knowledge to work the machines as the phones are made
in the line, and the various retail strategies that went into the sale of
the phone and got it into the customer's hand. There may be a broad
overview, but that's not enough to get the job done. There are people who
are specialized all  the way through the process that make that phone happen
and without them, your dark ages would come to pass.

As for "Lost", it's very inconsistent but I find it entertaining
nonetheless. It's nice to take a break from reality and suspend disbelief
sometimes. I also enjoyed the WIzard of Oz and I have no belief that the
story line there is based in reality either. Some things are fun just
because they are nuts - take Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My advice is
to lighte up just a bit and try to enjoy the marathon with t he specialized
people around you. :-)