[extropy-chat] Re Fight for Evolution?

Pete Bertine pkbertine at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 3 00:08:10 UTC 2006

> I think you may be a little over concerned Pete. Part of what you are
> seeing
> is a simple matter of specialization. It may have made sense for a person
> 100 years ago to understand how the inside of their automobile worked
> since
> they could likely be stuck on the road and need to fix it. The same
> concepts
> that were in that auto were also contained in the factory machinery at the
> guy's job and the farm equipment in the field. They were very basic and
> didn't require any special knowledge.

[PB]
Ah, the good old days when things were simple.  I wish we knew what the
ratio of non-neurotic people to neurotic people was 100 years ago v. today.
There were probably far less rational numbers of folks then though. Still
they were isolated idiots and it was much harder to organize groups of
morons.  And the idiots were bombarded by far simpler and much more *quaint*
media manipulation.  Today it is a bit different...

> Today it is a bit different. A computer tech has enough trouble keeping up
> with the latest technology in computers, the latest security threats,
> hardware, etc to keep them busy 24/7. They do not have the luxury or the
> need for the knowledge of how a car works. Even if they did, they probably
> could not fix the car on the way to the office due to the special tools
> and
> parts needed to do the job. They pick up the cell phone and call a person
> specialized in car repair.......And this person probably hasn't a clue how
> the cell phone that made the call works, but his specialized knowledge in
> repairing cars makes him no less important to the overall knowledge of the
> Human species.
[PB]
Yes but the question is, "Are these overspecialized individuals less human
than the people 100 years ago.  The ponzi schemes of a last century still
work with little variation, only now the scope is global and the $ figures
in the billions.  The popular delusions and madness of crowds hasn't changed
a bit.  Have we as a species gotten smarter, wiser more rational, do we
question more what we see hear and read? No. I say as a whole, our species
has lost touch, dumbed down, prefer Visa to Mastercard, think Coke is better
than Pepsi.  Only an elite few, the numbers may be growing, have critical
thinking skills but the gulf between the thinking and the sleeping is
growing wider every day.  Just a hunch on my part.  I can't point to the
data yet.  I'll get a team of coeds on it immediately.

> Of  course you have your multi-talented pointy-head types (like most of
> the
> people here) who have a great interest in nearly everything. But I doubt
> that our numbers are decreasing. I also doubt that anyone here who knows
> how
> a cell phone works also knows each of the specific manufacturing processes
> that went into it, the processes that were used to gather the raw
> materials,
> an understaing of the infrastructure that brought all the parts into the
> plant to be made, the knowledge to work the machines as the phones are
> made
> in the line, and the various retail strategies that went into the sale of
> the phone and got it into the customer's hand. There may be a broad
> overview, but that's not enough to get the job done. There are people who
> are specialized all  the way through the process that make that phone
> happen
> and without them, your dark ages would come to pass.

[PB]
The most important people are the ones who can creatively manage the
specialized  and they are getting harder and harder to find, they don't want
to be a part of "it" any more. It is these effective and creative managers
who are being marginalized more and more...  again, no Harvard study to
prove my point, just direct experience with how the souls of companies are
crushed as they are thrown to the wolves of Wall Street, sucked up by global
conglomerates and devoured by the P&L of the quarterly report.

> As for "Lost", it's very inconsistent but I find it entertaining
> nonetheless. It's nice to take a break from reality and suspend disbelief
> sometimes.
[PB] My point is that smart folks think Jumbo Jets can disappear.

I also enjoyed the WIzard of Oz and I have no belief that the
> story line there is based in reality either. Some things are fun just
> because they are nuts - take Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. My advice is
> to lighte up just a bit and try to enjoy the marathon with t he
> specialized
> people around you. :-)

[PB]

Douglas Adams was brilliant, his work was ironic, complex and he created
elaborate social systems and physical realities that he worked within.  He
created a universe within which there were rules for how his hyper reality
drive worked and his machine worked according to those rules.  He created
intricate thematic structures the way William Gibson and Arthur C. Clarke
have.

Lost is "nuts" and to mention it's sophomoric brain soothing power in the
same paragraph as Hitchhiker has poor Douglas spinning in his grave.

As for lightening up, I can out quote you line for line regarding Caddy
Shack, Road Warrior or Wedding Crashers any day of the week.  Plus, coeds
still find me adorable and several have offered to have my children.
Strippers give me lap dances for free. And a "marathon of specialized
people" sounds like an aimless herd of sheep running for a cliff.

Though I refuse to fiddle too much while Rome burns, I invite you anytime to
NYC for a www.svn.org event where the wine flows free and the women are
young and pretty.

pete