[extropy-chat] Peak Oil news

Lee Corbin lcorbin at tsoft.com
Wed Mar 8 13:10:02 UTC 2006

Hal's written some very fine pieces that clearly explain one
very good way to come to tentative conclusions about issues
that interest you. "Prudence", like "virtue" aren't terms that
you hear much of these days, but prudence was very high on the
list of desirable virtues in classical times, and you simply
must rate pretty highly the Hanson/Finney formula in terms of
prudence, and "Peak Oil" is a great esxample.

It even gets a little funny to anticipate how uncomfortable
these claims must make some people. One bottom line, "if you
are so sure, then put your money where your mouth is"
naturally provokes outrage.

Of course, given that one does hold strong beliefs one way
or another that are at variance with the market, there can
be prudent reasons that he or she may find it too risky to
gamble anyway: we all have our utility curves, after all.
But surely, I would think, you'd be at least a little more
inclined to be *less* certain in your own mind about
conclusions you've reached if so many others with good
"credentials" disagree with you: your immediate mission,
whether you choose to accept it or not, is to explain
how it is that they all could be so wrong.

Like others who demur a bit, I too subscribe to some beliefs
about this that may conflict a little with the market. I've
read---along with my book group, which is composed of folks
I respect a good deal---Thomas Gold's "The Deep Hot Biosphere".

We were convinced! Concretely: at the end of the evening we
discussed the book, most of us thought that the odds were
eighty percent that he was right about the abiotic theory
(we also thought that he had about a fifty percent chance
of being right about life itself first arising deep within
the earth.

I venture to say that anyone who's studied Gold's fine book
will significantly change his odds more towards the abiotic
theory, (even if he retains probability at less than
fifty percent).

Lee