[extropy-chat] Ok I get the hint!

Robert Bradbury robert.bradbury at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 16:31:52 UTC 2006

Anna,

I agree with Gina.  There is nothing wrong with being somewhat different,
particularly if one is trying to explain and communicate different
thoughts.  One of the problems in communicating with people is in
recognizing that you are ultimately trying to get the other person to
recreate in their mind the equivalent of the neural connections that you
have in your mind -- and we are using very cumbersome methods (speaking
"symbol, symbol, symbol, ..." to the other person) and hoping that they can
develop an understanding similar to that which we have.  In the particular
case under discussion it looks like you created a logical disconnect among
some list members because you were attempting to serve as an interpreter
between one "reality" (extropianism/transhumanism) and another reality
(based upon 'faith'?) using language (science & physics) which can have
problems in both realms.  (At least that is my subjective impression based
on brief readings of some of the conversation.)

The ExI list is a rather rough and tumble environment because most of the
people have a strong background in science and rational debate (as well as
pick a whole host of other topics).  So if one frames a communication which
is significantly in departure from the common knowledge base it leads people
to "creative"(?) speculation about what the communicator may not understand,
be misinterpreting, etc.

As a side note, I'm still rather pissed about the general direction the list
seems to be taking which is that you can join the "club" if you scored 800's
on your SATs at the age of 16 or have a degree from Caltech but god forbid
you should walk into the club and demonstrate some ignorance or ideas which
conflict with the "club reality".

Do not be completely offended Anna, there are at least a few of us here who
may wonder how various people connect the dots from time to time are open
minded enough to ask whether or not there might be some wisdom in those
pathways.

Perhaps what we need is an extropy(transhumanist?)-novices list...
As things appear now the "club" is never going to transition from a "clique"
to a robust educational and transformational vehicle (IMO).  If that is
true, then there should be warnings and/or messages posted on the mailing
list signup pages and in the monthly notices that this isn't "really" about
"chatting" unless the chat topic happens to be one which interests the
"clique".

(if you respond to the last couple of paragraphs, you may want to change the
Subject...)

Robert