[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 23:47:23 UTC 2006

Heartland:
>>Now you claim that cooling down the atom erases all the
>>records tracking past locations of that atom?

John K Clark:
> Yes, that is exactly precisely what I am claiming.

Apparently, you don't even have an awareness of what you are in fact claiming
(which adds to no comprehension of what I'm saying). And no, it has nothing to do
with Bose Einstein Condensation.

Heartland:
>> Excuse me. You've just tried to convince me that there is a single
>> instance of "1" in "1+1".

John K Clark:
> What I said in very clear language is that when two identical brains are
> thinking about 1+1 there is only one thought. Clearly in your sentence above
> there were two ASCII symbols of the number one but I don't give a hoot in
> hell about ASCII symbols, I'm only interest in subjectivity.

Ah, so there are two separate instances of "1" in "1+1" after all. That's progress.
Now, with that established, creation of two identical brains, like writing
identical number types "1" twice, would produce two separate instances of the same
brain type. Yes? No?

John K Clark:
> IF YOU'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE SPACE TIME
> TRAJECTORY OF ATOMS WHAT THE HELL ARE THE TRAJECTORIES OF!

They are records of the activity of matter in time and space. It makes absolutely
no difference which instances of that matter implement that activity. If I throw an
object along a unique trajectory it makes absolutely no difference to that
trajectory if I do this with a baseball or tennis ball. Does this finally destroy
your zombie straw man? I hope so.

Heartland:
>> I'll just indulge you one last time. After your experiment nothing
>> changes.

John K Clark:
> What the hell does that mean? Of course SOMETHING changed, there are now two
> bodies, two lumps of protoplasm and both claim to be you. So for once don't
> weasel out, don't just ignore difficult questions, which one is you, don't
> tell me nothing changed just tell me which one is you.
> After that tell me
> which one is the original and most importantly WHY, just what is original
> about it and why should anyone care?

"Nothing changed" means "original remains original, copy is still a copy". Why?
Because the original *activity* (not atoms) of mind process continues at the same
space location. In other words, the trajectory of the original mind object remains
continuous and parallel (therefore distinguishable) to the trajectory of copied
mind object. I don't expect you to follow any of that but that's the technical
answer.

John K Clark:
> I look forward to your answers but I am not hopeful, you'll probably just
> ignore them again or dismiss them with an idiotic two word answer like
> "nothing changes".

Looks like you've been proven wrong again. I answered your questions, as always.
Please don't blame me for ignoring your questions when you don't understand the
answers.

S.