[extropy-chat] darfur

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Tue May 2 01:23:04 UTC 2006

On Apr 30, 2006, at 2:59 PM, Ned Late wrote:

> Here's another spin on this: in the sixth paragraph you'll notice a
> Ron Fisher wrote that participating in the darfur genocide protest
> is a "socially responsible, good conscience thing to do". Feel
> Goodism. That is to say it makes me feel better-- 'look at me, I'm
> so decent I'll take time out from my day to go to a protest'. The
> protest is worthy but the motivation is mostly 'look at me, I'm so
> concerned, sympathetic & decent-- I deserve recognition, hope the
> press photographer snaps a picture of me'.

That I feel better at least speaking getting out and speaking up
rather than say, sitting at home watching the tube, is surely not
such a bad thing relatively speaking.  Maybe we should count that one
to the good.    I don't think it is about hoping to get in the paper
though and I don't see where that, well,  cynical a view is
justified.   Also, regardless of motive, the number of people who
publicly speak up is important.

> And how about those that attend anti-globalization rallies, or
> attend protests against oil corporations, driving to the
> demonstrations in their gas-guzzlers? Americans have so little
> savoir faire, no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of
> Americans. Isn't taste to be considered extropian?

Are you part of the solution or another part of the problem?  Slams
of Americans per se are surely not helpful.   Or do you believe you
are too hip to be bothered with more than cynicism and an opportunity
to trot out your favored evaluations and poke some folks in the eye?

- samantha