[extropy-chat] "Dead Time" of the Brain.

Heartland velvet977 at hotmail.com
Fri May 5 23:55:28 UTC 2006

Jeffrey:
>  I didn't mean to upset you.

You didn't.

Jeffrey:
"When many people begin to analyze or criticize your argument simultaneously, it
can give you a feeling of being hounded or attacked. But, for your part, when you
present an idea that goes against the grain, especially to a strongly science
oriented group, you should *expect* a great deal of fine scrutiny."

I don't feel attacked. Am I annoyed? Maybe just a tiny little bit. More
importantly, I've not seen a single challenge that threatened the logic of my
argument, except yours. But that's not an "attack" but a part of constructive
debate. Actually, your challenge even strengthened the logic of the argument. I
appreciate your input.

The annoying part is only when someone essentially tries to argue using the
strategy of, "Oh, but that's too weird for me so this must be wrong" or "Look, I
don't get it, so this must be wrong." It happens all the time.

Jeffrey:
"I expect the same thing for my very strange argument, and in fact I encourage it.
The more constructive criticism I receive the better - it will either lead to a
strengthening of my case or a weakening. If mine is an idea that should die, I'll
let it die. I've largely refrained from any personal attacks, but I've tried to
have a little fun with you on occasion. I'm sorry, if it led to a bad impression."

No, that was response to John Clark.

Jeffrey:
"Regarding the: ... you will die when you die ... comment. For the record, I didn't
put it in quotations, and I didn't mean to imply those were your words. I expected
anyone interested who read it, also read the full original."

Judging from replies under my quotes, most people don't really pay attention to
what is actually being said. They just point out what's wrong with their false
interpretation of the actual content. What else is new? :)

Jeffrey:
"I think John was making a direct quotation of my summary and was not implying a
quotation by you."

So you see how the rumor spreads? Please don't paraphrase in a form of assertion.

S.